The birth of this neighbourhood is linked to Don Juan Manuel de Rosas, who around 1836 acquired these lands, building his residence on them. It was located in the southeast corner of the current avenues of Libertador and Sarmiento. After Caseros, he occupied the Urquiza house, and after those hectic years, it was the headquarters of the School of Arts and Crafts, the Military College and the Naval School.
On November 11, 1875,Sarmiento's initiative came to fruition and Tres de Febrero Park was inaugurated. Soon after, the Botanical Garden and the Zoological Garden were created. Tango was also established in Palermo and Hansen was its mythological scene, for the time that the Maldonado stream was still open to heaven, and the corners of the neighborhood did not dream that some time later they would shelter the legend of cradling infinite handsome men in their ochavas. and malevos. Little by little the remains of the past disappeared. In 1917 the famous gates that served as an entrance to the park disappeared, and whose name adopted popular toponymy to designate Plaza Italia and its surroundings.
Regarding the origin of the name of this neighborhood, the discussions are still ongoing. The first of the two most widespread and possible hypotheseslinks this name with Juan Domínguez Palermo, who in the early 17th century was the owner of the land; the second tells us that it derives from an oratory in which an image of Saint Benedict of Palermo was venerated.
Today Palermo offers a lot of everything: it is possible to recreate the life of Jorge Luis Borges in its streets, in addition to visiting emblematic places such as the Planetarium and the Evita Museum, choosing design items and enjoying gastronomy in the Plaza Cortázar area and breathe in the best green spaces in the city.