With this name, this area of ??Buenos Aires has been recognized since the beginning of the 18th century. Its name comes from the Casa del Retiro, built at the beginning of this century at the intersection of the current Arenales and Maipú by the governor Agustín de Robles, very close to the hermitage of San Sebastián, there already in 1608. Shortly after the house It was sold to the company of Mar del Sur, and was intended to house the slaves who arrived in Buenos Aires.
In 1800 the construction works for the Plaza de Toros began, whose outline is still maintained in the Plaza San Martín, on Avenida Santa Fe. During the English invasions, a memorable confrontation took place there, as a result of which the place received the name of Campo de la Gloria. There the grenadiers under the command of General José de San Martín also received instruction, and the place began to have importance because of the barracks that thus displaced the bullring. From this, the site was renamed Campo de Marte.
On July 13, 1862, the monument to the Liberator was inaugurated in the plaza, acquiring the name of the Father of the Fatherland at the time.
Touring the neighbourhood it is possible to see numerous historical buildings and monuments, in addition to many traditional churches in the city, such as the Basilica Nuestra Señora del Socorro or the Santa Catalina de Siena convent. In the area you can also visit the galleries of the Florida pedestrian street.