Bus turístico de la ciudad de Buenos Aires

San Telmo

Home » Tour » Recorrido Amarillo » San Telmo
Buy Tickets
See routes

Known as the "Alto de San Pedro", what we know today as San Telmo began to expand during the 17th and 18th centuries. Also known as "neighborhood of the port", it housed for the year 1600 the parishioners who worshiped San Pedro González Telmo, then designated patron of the old convent of Santo Domingo, located on the block of the streets Peru, Mexico, Bolívar and Chile current.

The House of Exercises began at that time to be used as a prison, a function with which it will survive to this day. In 1806 the Parish of San Pedro González Telmo was created, designating the church of Nuestra Señora de Belén as its headquarters until the head temple was erected, which was never done. Our Lady of Bethlehem was completed in 1876, and custom has ignored its true name, perpetuating instead that of the Church of San Telmo.

The neighborhood underwent a sudden transformation after the yellow fever epidemic of 1871, when it was depopulated by its wealthiest families; These sought better climatic and sanitary conditions in the north or west of the city, thus losing the importance of the southern neighborhood of yesteryear. Following Calle Defensa, the historical axis of the neighborhood, we come to Parque Lezama. The place was known as "the fifth of the English", since from 1812 it was in the hands of the Englishman Daniel Mackinlay, and since 1845 in the hands of the American Carlos Ridgely Horne, who finally sold it to Don Gregorio Lezama. In 1894 the fifth was purchased by the Municipality, creating the beautiful park that we know there.

Currently, within its limits are numerous emblematic attractions that make it one of the neighborhoods most visited by tourists, such as the Casa Minima, the Zanjón de Granados and the Mercado de San Telmo.

Come to know San Telmo

Come and Visit Ours Stops Most Famous Atractions